Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Minimalist Backpacking and Water

Water in the Back Country


The philosophy behind minimalism is very important to the decisions I make when it comes to living daily life and also to backpacking so, I would be remiss to not start with a rather lengthy preface to what I carry in order to meet my needs and address safety while enjoying the raw nature that nourishes my soul.

To start simply, I do not carry water, a water bottle or a filter. Obviously this eliminates a lot of weight and bulk. I do however, carry a little bag that weighs 1/10th of an ounce and is the size of a marble.
A bag filled with water waiting for morning when I need a drink, or if I am using a stove or fire, a cup of coffee.


One major variable that I need to point out is this: We HAVE to have water! So, like our four-legged friends and our ancestors, we live (and explore) where there is water. Simple, huh? I would not make my destination, my home or my journey where people and most animals are not equipped to live, period! That said, if I am going to an area where there is no water, be it for a day or a week, I will have to carry water! My solution and preference in most cases is to be where I can find water.

Indeed, one cannot spend his entire back country life next to a creek and there may be significant distances between water sources. If I hike in the grand canyon, I will HAVE to carry water, but maybe not as much as the average person. My late hiking companion and 120lb Newfoundland mix (Barney) seemed to do OK where ever we went and he never carried water. You've seen desert trekkers (camels) who are really good at drinking their water when available and then going great distances in time and space without. You're right. We are not dogs or camels and more importantly we get sick easier from drinking water that has not been treated.

Hiking in the mountains is my preferred place to embrace the outdoors and the mountains have a pretty good track record of having water sources for the thirsty backpacker. When water is available, I drink. Maybe even as much as a liter and a half or more during a good long rest stop. In most situations I can drink enough water to sustain me for 4-8 hours. It makes a HUGE difference that I carry very, very, very little weight. Hence, I stay hydrated longer and I burn fewer calories!



But, is the water safe to drink without being treated? No! Eventually a person will get sick and maybe even dangerously sick without a way to treat the water. My minimalist philosophy says and I've learned the following:

Drink water when its available.
Beware of three major threats; E coli, Giardia and Cryptosporidium.
If drinking untreated water, do it with a level of mindfulness and experience.

With these things in mind, let me address my basic philosophy which is: I don't want to be on the planet if I cannot drink the water! (Yes, the planet may remove me if I don't change my ways). But, I am not completely stupid. Here is what I continue to learn and experience. Keep in mind, I am NOT suggesting that YOU drink the water or approach this important topic uneducated. All of the science and professionals will tell you to TREAT YOUR WATER! I concur. Let me, say I DO carry a tiny product that I may feel the need to use at times and I'll talk about it shortly.

I hike 4000 miles a year and I drink as much water from creeks and streams as I do from faucets.
I HAVE BEEN VERY SICK from drinking terrible water. I currently am into my ninth month of lactose intolerance since my giardia episode last year. It's much better and nearly gone but, I have actually enjoyed (in a morbid kind of way) watching and going through the process of getting well. Giardia is horrible for an active person because once the diarrhea, nausea and related symptoms subside, the fatigue can still be disabling. The microbiome (gut health) is thrown into a tizzy and things take time and proactive measures in order to be rectified. I stood at the door to the doctor's office before turning around and walking back to my car, reluctantly, in my quest to face the challenge to my immune health without medical intervention.

I have also suffered the similar I-am-going-to-die effects of e coli several years ago after beginning my minimalist journey without regard for the fact that I was taking creek baths in an area of free-range cattle. Cryptosporidium (crypto for short) is also a threat from diseased cattle and sick wild animals, and it is a tough microscopic parasite whose symptoms are similar to e coli with perhaps a little less dehydration, but all of the nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite and sometimes fatigue that accompanies it.

Note: ALL OF THESE CAN BE VERY DANGEROUS and more than just a terrible one week "flu". Immune health is one key in battling any water-borne parasite or harmful bacteria without the use of medical treatments. I also drink water often with DE (diatomaceous earth). DE is made of tiny diatoms which are fossilized remains of ancient aquatic organisms. Their clear silica shell is mined from deposits around the world. The tiny, chaotic and sharp edges of these fossils can potentially kill and remove the giardia trophozoites that gather and live in the mucousal walls of the intestine. They (the trophozoites) act like little suckers that steal your nutrition and hence mess up your second brain. Your second brain is your gut and a healthy gut works like a brain communicating with your other brain (the one on your shoulders) to create health and immunity. This is a most interesting topic in modern neuroscience and microbiology. I believe the DE is a good and highly effective way to prevent giardia (and perhaps other germs) from destroying the balance of flora in the gut and also a possible remedy for giardia in the case it finds anyone of us. While I credit DE for being an immediate help in my latest giardia battle it can't undo the damage. This requires a healthy diet and all the other components of a a healthy lifestyle like, low-stress and time outside in the dirt, trees and fresh air. Make that a LOT of time out there! Fermented foods are also a great way to maintain this healthy second brain and recover from an episode with giardia.

Giardia is the biggest and most common threat in the high back country. Crypto and e coli are more common where there are farms and people. For instance, if I were to find myself down stream from a slaughterhouse or a ranch I may be most concerned with crypto, next, e coli. If I were in an alpine setting that was remote I would first expect giardia. In the same area but with human traffic, I might be more concerned, or equally concerned with e coli. Where I prefer to hike and backpack, all could be a threat but I am most concerned with giardia. Most methods of treating water will effectively protect from all three.

Giardia: Think wild animals.
E coli: Think people and their waste.
Crypto: Think diseased domesticated animals.
However, these can all be carried by any person or animal. The bottom line for me is to build a resistance or an immunity, which some, but far from all scientists insist can happen. I have undoubtedly been the beneficiary of an improved resistance to these thieves of health. But, not without some pain along the way. And my future is NOT guaranteed when it comes to being able to resist. For now: I drink, therefore I am!

I want to travel light. Very light. So, for myself, I drink a lot of water when it is available. I try to use some bit of judgement when I am out there and occasionally use a product called dioxychlor. Chlorine dioxide is an effective treatment for water. It requires a wait time of 30 minutes before drinking (4 hours for crypto) and only takes 1.5-2 drops per liter of water. Very minimalistic indeed, and a tiny little container can last an entire season. Before chlorine dioxide I used chlorine (bleach) at the same concentration or dosage. CLO2 is much better to taste.

All this is to say, I drink the water and don't predictably treat it. I count on my immune system and I don't take it lightly. I do things specifically to build my immune health, gut health and I also sometimes treat the water. I also drink quantities, when water is available. For these reasons I can can embrace the best of nature and carry an extremely light load. A major priority for me.

Whatever your take on water and drinking in the back country, remember: Water is precious. Do not urinate or defecate anywhere close to water sources. Wash yourself in water and forget the soaps and detergents.

Educate yourself on the methods for treating water and know how to use what you use before you go. If you are a straight-from-the-creek-drinker, be so with a humble awareness.

mtn-min






1 comment:

  1. Excellent post. Gonna check out the dioxychlor. Had giardiasis once, and that was enough.

    ReplyDelete