Saturday, July 28, 2018

Minimalism and Barefooting


Don't put your foot in your mouth. But, I still hope you can still get your foot UP to your mouth.

There are advantages to going barefoot whether it is walking around in the backyard, a stroll through town or, on the trail. From a minimalist view, shoes cost money and money costs time! Oh, there are other reasons to shed the shoes and I'll cover them here shortly but for starters; shoes cost money and money costs time.

I began barefoot hiking some years ago. The only shoes I became comfortable wearing were a zero drop, minimalist shoe that cost 100.00 per pair. They are really quite worth it and you can see I extended their life by hundreds of miles simply by continuing to wear them well after their normal life span. Like the picture below illustrates, the only thing I need from shoes is some protection from the ground especially after my feet start feeling raw after some miles. I make a pair of these shoes look like you see, every year. This is the first year I only own one pair of shoes and they look like this. :) Summer is fading and I will need to decide about this years winter footwear, but I will still find many days to barefoot and wear other minimalist foot coverings.

Next to the shoes you see the Barefoot socks I make. See our tutorials for instructions on hooking yourself up with a pair. Introduction to Barefooter Socks 

The socks are for assisting a person in becoming a barefooter as they offer some protection and a little bit of warmth while training. This brings up an important reality: Our feet can get use to the rocks, roots and hard ground however, they can not get use to the cold! At some point you need warmth!


When I first started barefooting it was for reasons other than saving the money spent on shoes. In fact, I don't even think it is a good enough reason in and of itself but, it is a funny reason I like to use when defending being unshod. But, the real reason I like barefeet is I FEEL the trail. I become closer to the ground and the environment that is part of me in a very real way! Secondly, I subscribe to the science that supports barefeet as healthy and ergonomically superior. Yes, this is not the common person's understanding. I will let you research the science yourself, and decide that. I will simply say that my posture, back, knees, ankles and brain have benefited enormously from barefooting. Subsequent articles here at this site will address this more specifically along with the research you may choose to do on your own.


How about injuries? I cannot fathom barefooting through areas where senseless campers break beer bottles over fire pits or even walking through nasty parking lots in town. But, out on the trails, I have found I change my gait, my mind is sharper and aware and in thousands of miles I have not had an injury...of any kind! Granted, if I stub or break a toe, it may have been prevented with big and bulky boots. Yet, I see many, many hikers that stumble, slip and trip while my own steps seem to be confident and sure.






Stay in touch with us here as we offer more information and educational resources to help you if you feel barefooting is an option you enjoy or want to explore.

We look forward to offering insight into training and techniques for taking off the shoes and hugging the earth as well as links to the science that supports our position.

mtn-min

No comments:

Post a Comment