Saturday, August 4, 2018

Minimalism and Meditation

"I'm very happy," a person might say. In many cases it may actually mean, "I am content". Content is a good thing for sure however, if it means that I have settled into a life that works but it's surely not perfect then maybe it is time to review. Minimalism, as it pertains to a lifestyle and, meditation, which we will define here shortly, together offer an extremely powerful component to finding freedom and an indestructible sense of well-being.



Minimalism in short might be well defined as a philosophy and a lifestyle that is developed and bred from an understanding about what we need as persons. The great religious leaders of the past and the tenets of those philosophies are rooted in minimalism. From the Noble Truths of Buddhism to Jesus' Sermon on the Mount, minimalism is not only suggested but, mandatory. Yet, hardly even a tiny portion of those who espouse these faiths and philosophies actually live consistent to them! This is amazing to me, we seem so sure about what we believe yet it is in a rather morbid contrast to how we live!

Minimalism in simply realizing that we "do not need". I used to counsel parents and their kids and I have heard, and in more than just counseling sessions, "you need", "I need" and "we need". Need carries an enormous amount of stress with it and stress, we are learning, might be at the root of virtually every problem we face as people and even as nations.

Even when we use the word "need" in sincere ways, i.e. I need my job or I need my spouse or I need my family, it really isn't true. For example, the person who says they "need" their children is in an even worse world of hurt if that child is somehow taken from them in death. A tragedy indeed! But, that person will continue to breathe and be forced to go on. It's a reality. It's true! One will not cease to exist, breathe, eat and drink. At the core of minimalism is an understanding that I don't need. I may want, in fact this is even better. I would personally rather be in a relationship where I am wanted rather than needed. I would rather have someone hold me closely and enjoy me rather than be addicted to me. This may sound cold. Please allow it to simmer for awhile. Once we let go of things to which we thought we "needed" we can find ourselves free to be even more, to love more, to smile more, to be wholly content! If we can get to this point surely we can easily begin to change the way we think about our possessions (cars, boats, clothes, houses, toys, etc).

Meditation is a scary word to some people who do not believe in a spiritual realm. To others it is a ambiguous thing. Well, it isn't difficult. Meditation is really thought. I call it thought therapy. There is directed thought therapy and free thought therapy. We discuss these in other articles. But for here, today, meditation is a bio-chemical and neurological process. we can see its affect in the brain. If there is a spiritual element to it, that is one thing but, the improved emotional control, lower blood pressure, increased health and other benefits to meditation are measurable. They are bio-chemically and neurologically physically measurable. That being said, "thought therapy" is highly effective and it marries amazingly well with minimalism. Meditation or thought therapy is most effectively practiced when we get rid of all the stuff and settle into a place of our, breath. Breathing! What we actually NEED is the breathe of life. It's just about all we need. Yes, food, water and shelter but right now...the breath of life!

Think on this for awhile and see how the two compliment each other and, watch for more information and inspiration here at mtn-min.

For now, I need to go. Ooops, wait a sec. I don't need to go, I am simply going out to the trail for an all day hike!


No comments:

Post a Comment